Monday, August 21, 2006

Step by Step, oh baby

I don’t know about you, but I LOVE the unknown. I love surprises! I love adventure. I love carpet. I love lamp… errr….sorry… But I love the mystery of not knowing about a destination until I’ve arrived… The journey is fun, the adventure is exhilarating because I don’t know what to expect.

Some people don’t like mystery. They like to know what is going to happen. For example, some people don’t like movies with surprise endings. They will usually ask someone beforehand about who dies, who lives, how it ends, etc. Others hate knowing anything about the plot before they watch it. They want it to be fresh, new and mysterious. If anybody talks about what happens before they have seen it themselves, they usually will plug their ears and sing so they don't get any hint as to what happens. That is what I am like. I don’t like repeats, I don’t like taping sporting games because if it’s not live, or if the outcome has already been established, it's no longer a mystery.

I wonder if this is why I love having a relationship with God. God will usually speak a promise into our lives but he never reveals how that will unfold. He will say something like, “I’m going to be doing something amazing through you,” or, “I will use you to do _____ (Insert what you wish).” But we never know what exactly that is until it has happened or we have arrived to that point.

About a year and a half ago God gave me this vision of me walking in complete darkness. In fact, it was like I was walking through this giant, black void. I could see a door in the distance, but I did not know how to get there. Kind of like that scene taken from the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where he has to walk across that giant chasm called the ‘step of faith.’ It looks like there is no ground until he takes that proverbial 'step of faith' and ground forms beneath him. In this vision, stepping stones would appear out of the darkness right in front of me, but only one or two stones at a time. It was like I had a flashlight that could only look right in front of me. But as long as I kept in step with those stones, I could make it to the next one and eventually to the other side.

After that, I asked God what the meaning of this vision was. And he spoke to me and showed me the following.

The walk was my walk through life. God will be doing amaing things through me, which was the door on the other side and He was only revealing one step at a time to me. This was the next step of where I should go in life. If he showed me the whole path, I would try to take a shortcut, or veer off the path to go my own way, but that wasn’t God’s way. God showed me the destination, but not the path on how to get there, and that was intentional, because he knew the best journey on how to get there. It was for my own good. It’s for our own good. If God showed us our whole life and every step at one point, we would try to do it our own way.

This is where following the voice of God becomes so important. He knows exactly where we should go; He’s designed it that way. If we choose our own way, we may fall down, or the journey will be tougher. Every day we must ask God where he desires us to go, who to talk to and what decisions we should make. He wants to be involved in every aspect of our lives.

Psalm 37:23-24 says,
"If the LORD delights in a man's way, he makes his steps firm;
though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand."

Lately I have been riding God’s wave and it’s been awesome. He has been doing some amazing things and I am so humbled by it. I am blessed! I just wanted to encourage all of you to be searching and following the voice of God for your life. He will lead you places unimaginable. It’s an adventure and it’s exhilarating! I will be updating you with some new news in a few days… stay tuned, mah homies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home